Tradewinds
Home

True Performance Design and Test Protocol

Custom Load Calcs and System Design

Energy Audits

House Performance Testing and Remediation

HERS Rating

Carbon Monoxide and Combustion
Testing

Air Quality
Testing and
Remediation

Air Conditioning
Performance
Based Testing

3rd Party
Inspections and Web-based Databases

Spray Foam Insulation

Training for Quality Contractors

Alternative
Energy Systems

Video Gallery

About Us

Contact us

     

 

Why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Test?

Carbon Monoxide is the #1 cause of poisonings in the U.S. Yet less than 5% of all CO Poisonings are reported!

The safe and efficient operation of your heating equipment and other combustion appliances cannot be determined without testing using a calibrated combustion analyzer.

Because the technology, instruments and training to do this testing correctly has only been available for a few years, the odds are it has never been done.

Our technicians are certified by the National Comfort Institute* to properly test and diagnose potential CO exposure.

 

 

 

 

 

Measuring the draft of a water heater flue

 

It’s About Your Health, Safety and Comfort              

Carbon monoxide, even in small quantities, can cause serious health problems,
particularly in children and the elderly.

Millions of unsuspecting homeowners are exposed to low levels of CO and don’t even know it.

Unfortunately, U.L. Listed CO alarms, like the ones pictured at left, don’t go off until your family has been exposed to 70 ppm (parts per million) for over 3-1/2 hours!

Most international limits for unsafe levels, including OSHA and the World Health Organization’s guidelines are
between 15-35 ppm.

 

Click here to see our special Carbon Monoxide monitor. The NSI
low level monitor senses Carbon Monoxide levels as low as 5 ppm
(parts per million).

It's not just your furnace

Carbon monoxide can come from additional sources in your home besides your heating equipment, and they should all be checked.

These sources include your Water Heater, Gas Range, Gas Logs, Space Heater, Boiler – even an attached garage where you warm up your car or start gasoline powered lawn equipment can pass Carbon Monoxide into the home.

 

Even New Equipment Needs to Be Tested

Anytime equipment is installed, it is being exposed to real conditions in which it has never been tested to perform. Equipment is tested in a laboratory under tight standards that do not reflect the real world of your home. Venting systems, combustion air, duct systems, additional appliances in the building, building pressure etc., can all affect its operation. Besides that, after leaving the factory it’s likely your equipment has been loaded and unloaded on trucks and transported several times. Vibration and shock can cause components to shift and move and adjustments to be knocked out of calibration. The only way to truly know if your new equipment is operating safely and efficiently is to test it once it’s been installed under real world conditions.

We Don't Just Guess - We Measure

When we walk into your house we’ll be carrying a Carbon Monoxide Monitor to immediately check if unsafe CO levels are present. When working on the equipment, we will insert the probe of an electronic combustion analyzer inside to check actual burner performance. We will be testing for abnormal combustion, which can cause elevated Carbon Monoxide levels and inefficiency (wasted money).

Once we are finished testing we will provide documentation and review our results with you. In most cases, we can remediate the condition, or refer you to our preferred contractor for any needed repairs.

 

Frequently Asked Questions About Carbon Monoxide Testing

QUESTION: I have a CO Alarm in my house, shouldn’t this warn me if there is a problem?

ANSWER: If you purchased your alarm from a store, it will usually only warn you of a life threatening condition. If you read the fine print on the product’s UL listing, you’ll find it offers little protection for children, the elderly, or persons with existing illnesses or CO sensitivity.

QUESTION: What level of carbon monoxide can be harmful?

ANSWER: According to the World Health Organization, 15-20 ppm is the first level of CO that can affect us. Levels as low as 30 ppm have been discovered to cause heart problems. Store CO alarms do not have to activate until they see 70 ppm for 3-1/2 hours!

QUESTION: What type of alarm should I have then?

ANSWER: Ask us for a low-level monitor that alerts you at levels beginning at 15 ppm. Make sure it’s battery operated and visually tells you it’s working 24/7. Click here to learn more about the low-level monitor.

QUESTION: Can’t I just call my gas company or appliance repairman if I think I have a problem?

ANSWER: Would you call the gas station if you had a problem with your car? Gas companies are well versed in fuel leaks, but their main business is not appliance service. Few appliance repairmen are Certified CO/Combustion Analysts.

QUESTION: How do I know that Tradewinds Appropriate Technologies have Certified CO/Combustion Analysts?

ANSWER: You can ask to see our NCI* certification and we will gladly show you our state-of-the-art electronic test equipment and demonstrate how it measures the combustion and carbon monoxide levels of your equipment.

 

Measuring a furnace

 

 

Repairing a faulty flue

Measuring a furnace         

 

 

*The National Comfort Institute, NCI , is the largest training and certification organization in the US in the areas of home comfort diagnostics, air balancing, Indoor Air Quality, combustion efficiency and carbon monoxide safety.

 

PO Box 2090
Sheffield Lake, OH 44054
 www.ncinstitute.com 
E-mail: info@ncinstitute.com

 

Tradewinds Appropriate Technologies

Energy, Comfort and Indoor Air Quality Solutions

Consulting, Testing, ENERGY STAR® Ratings,
Custom Load Calculations, HVAC System Design,
Spray Foam Insulation, Remediation and Training:

Call 254-799-1326

Click here to learn more about the low-level Carbon Monoxide Monitor

email: info@tradewinds-at.com

© 2009 Tradewinds Appropriate Technologies